Directory of Consultants
About Vhi Healthcare's 'Find A Consultant' Service
Welcome to Vhi Healthcare's on-line Directory of Consultants. This is a service available to Vhi Healthcare members, General Practitioners and other healthcare professionals to provide information regarding the participation status of a Consultant to whom they may wish to refer a patient or to whom a patient has been referred.
If the Consultant you are looking for is not listed you can call us on (056) 444 4444
You can search for a consultant by surname, by specialty or by hospital.
- Keep in mind that it is not a comprehensive listing of all consultants who practise in a Vhi Healthcare approved hospital. It only lists consultants who have given their permission for their name and practice details to be published in the directory. And it only includes the names of Consultants recognised by Vhi Healthcare.
- Vhi Healthcare makes no representation as to the professional qualifications of people named in the directory but has produced the directory solely to assist members in the financial planning required in caring for their health and that of their families.
- The directory lists the details of consultants that are practising in specialised areas of medicine both inside and outside of a hospital environment and where that specialty is recognised by Vhi Healthcare. Consultants may practice in specialty areas other than those listed in the directory.
- The hospital attachments shown are those where the consultants currently practise and where these hospitals are listed.
Whilst every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the contents of the Directory, Vhi Healthcare is dependent on Consultants to provide us with their current practice details.
A Consultant registered with Vhi Healthcare is described as participating when they agree to accept full settlement of their fees charged to Vhi Healthcare patients in accordance with Vhi Healthcare's published benefits.
A Consultant registered with Vhi Healthcare is described as non-participating when they do not agree to accept full settlement of their fees charged to Vhi Healthcare patients in accordance with Vhi Healthcare's published benefits.
A Consultant is defined as follows:
A medical practitioner who has a current full registration with the Irish Medical Council and who:
- holds a public Consultant post in the Republic of Ireland; or
- has held a public Consultant post in the Republic of Ireland in the past and now practises within the same specialised field; or
- holds the necessary qualification for a public Consultant post in the Republic of Ireland together with evidence of appropriate general professional and higher specialist training to a standard required for such a post in the speciality in which he/she intends to work and has been appointed as a Consultant to a Vhi Healthcare approved post in a Vhi Healthcare approved private hospital.